Spellbound is the 32nd episode of the Teen Titans series and the sixth episode of the Third Season.
Feelings as if no one understands, Ravens starts to isolate herself from the team and wishes she could find someone who does understand her. Until she comes across Malchior, a powerful sorcerer trapped within one of her books. Claiming that only she can free him, Malchior starts to teach Raven the spells that will free him from the book and soon Raven starts to fall in love with him. Will Raven be able to free Malchior or is there is more to Malchior than he claims to be?
Raven reads the story of Rorek's titanic battle with the evil dragon Malchior. The story captivates Raven so much that she brooks no interruption, may it be due to an emergency (such as Kardiak trying to kidnap children from a playing ground) or her teammates trying to make her ease up. A remark by Beast Boy about her being "creepy" stings her, though, and she wishes that she could meet someone who could truly understand her and someone she could talk with. And to her immense surprise, the book responds!The book introduces itself as Malchior the wizard, imprisoned within his own spellbook by Rorek the dragon's last curse just as he was being defeated himself. He proclaims to understand Raven and thus touches her heart. She tries to get him out of the spellbook, but with the magic she knows so far it proves impossible. As a result, Malchior teaches her his immense knowledge of magic, and step by step Raven manages to get the curse broken. At first she succeeds in giving Malchior a corporeal form of sorts with the paper pages of the spellbook, but in order to be truly free, she has to increase her powers all the more. As time passes, Raven begins to feel closer to Malchior than to anyone else before.
After a week, Raven finally comes out of her room wearing a white cloak, and seeming much happier than usual, humming to herself. Thanks to Beast Boy's snooping (mostly out of worry), the other Titans learn about Malchior's existence, but before they can ask more, Kardiak strikes again. Raven attempts to stop him once again, but she uses her new magical powers, which promptly go out of control, threatening to consume both Kardiak and his latest victim; and just in time, Beast Boy manages to prevent worse. Outraged, Raven confronts Malchior for having taught her dark magic, but again Malchior touches her heart by asking her whether she wants to be misunderstood and thus lonely once again.Raven performs the final ceremony which frees Malchior from the spellbook, but as Malchior is about to be released, Raven realizes-to her horror- that he has tricked her: Having swapped their names in the book, it turns out that Malchior is in fact not the wizard, but the dragon! Before she can reverse the ritual, Malchior breaks free and flies out of Titans Tower. The Titans try to stop him but fail against his might. Furious about this betrayal, Raven engages Malchior in one-on-one combat and manages to banish him back into the book, which she locks away. The desolation in her heart is soon alleviated by Beast Boy, who makes her realize that she is not alone after all, and by Cyborg, who becomes the first victim of his own and Beast Boy's prank game of Stankball.
- Malchior: [in a voice-over] But it did seem the power of Rorek was greater than my magics could defeat. And as the foul beast struck...
[alarm siren or knock on the door]
- Robin: Kardiac, you're under arrest.
- Beast Boy: Raven, it's me. Look, I'm sorry. Raven: For what? You're not the one who... Beast Boy: No. I'm sorry that he broke your heart. Raven: I know it was all a lie. And he was the only person who made me feel like I wasn't... creepy. And don't try to to me I'm not. Beast Boy: Okay. Fine. You're way creepy. But that doesn't mean you have to stay locked in your room. You think you're alone, Raven, but you're not. (Raven walks out of her room and hugs Beast Boy)
- Malchior: [as the dragon or his true form] Oh dear! You're not going to cry now, are you? I know it hurts, but you'll just have to accept the truth! It's over. I got what I wanted and I don't need you anymore.
Raven: It's not over! Not yet.
Malchior: [chuckles evily] Sweet Raven, you can't possibly hope to defeat me! I taught you everything you know!
- Robin: Hey when we got home, you kinda ran to your room and locked the door. Anything you wanna talk about?
Raven: No. [closes the door]
- Starfire: I have journeyed to the mall of shopping and discovered the joy of earthley hair orniments. Do you wish to...
Raven: No. [closes her door and one of the orniments popped off of Starfire's hair]
- Cyborg: Yo, Raven!
Beast Boy: Dude, open up! [Raven then becomes severley angry and roughly opens her door pushing Cyborg and Beast Boy back, but maintain their balance smiling]
Beast Boy: We're here tonight with an exclusive offer.
Cyborg: A one time chance to get in on America's fastest growing sports scentsation.
Beast Boy: A hot new game we just made up.
Beast Boy and Cyborg: Stink Ball!!! [Cyborg smells the ball and falls over]
Beast Boy:[holding a black and white cloak] Wanna be referee?
Beast Boy: But please?
Cyborg: Everybody loves a good game of Stink Ball.
Beast Boy: And we need a referee to play the lightning round.
Raven: No! [pushes Beast Boy and Cyborg away]
Beast Boy: Aww Raven, come on! Why can't you just have fun like normal people? Why are you always locked in your dark room, reading your nasty old books? Why do you gave to be so creepy?!
Cyborg: Forget it B. Leave her alone.[foot steps walk away from the door]
Raven: [clutching book] I'm not creepy, I'm just different.
- Malchior: Raven, you're the best thing that's happened to me in a thousand years.
Raven: Then you don't think I'm...creepy?
Malchior: Certainly not.
- Raven: [after finding out that Malchior is the dragon] He lied to me. He lied and I gave him what he wanted.
- Raven: You've taught me spells, but I have just learned a curse.
- Beast Boy: You morphed me! How did you do that?
- Written by:
- David Slack
- Directed by:
- Alex Soto
- Also featuring:
- If you look closely at this picture, you can see that the words in the yellow box states part of the theme song.
- In this episode the 'Bank of China Tower' from Hong Kong could be seen in the Jump City skyline.
- This episode marks the first episode that shows true affection between Beast Boy and Raven. At the end of the episode Beast Boy ensures Raven that she is neither creepy or alone because she has him, and the rest of the Titans. Raven throws her arms around him in a tight, sincere hug which surprises him. Though their moment is interrupted by Cyborg who knocks Beast Boy off his feet with the stankball.
- The way Raven's cloak changes back to a blackish purple from white suggests that it changes color based on her mood. As she bonded with "Malchior/Rorek" her cloak got lighter until it reached white. At the end of the episode, because she is mourning and is feeling sad and angry, it changes back to a blackish purple.