Overload is a monster composed of electricity who possesses artificial intelligence. He is an enemy of the Teen Titans.
Overload appears to be an artificial intelligence gone villainous. By some means he acquired the ability to absorb and control electricity, enabling him to form a body composed of electrically charged particles. The heartpiece of Overload consists of a computer circuit card housing his intelligence and persona.
Overload first met the Teen Titans when he raided Cook's Electronics store and drained the merchandise of its power. Cyborg found out that the electric villain was vulnerable to water, and the Titans used any water-conducting facilities in the store to bring Overload down, but as they left the store, Cyborg discovered to his dismay that his newly-built T-Car had been stolen, and took off immediately to recover it. After delivering Overload to the Jump City Police, the Titans split up to aid Cyborg in his search. With Raven's assistance, Cyborg managed to find his car, which had at that time been appropriated by Gizmo, but as ill luck would have it, the T-Car crashed into the very prison transport which was delivering Overload to jail. Overload lost no time taking over the T-Car, confident in the belief that Cyborg would not allow his precious car to be destroyed. However, Cyborg did bring up the courage, and Overload ended up stunned inside a new transport, with Gizmo and the car's initial thieves, Sammy and Cash, for company.
Later on, after he had made Terra his apprentice, Slade recruited Overload, along with Cinderblock and Plasmus, to set up a trap for the Titans. Slade's neural interface allowed Overload to be at the height of his fighting potential, but Raven managed to subdue him shortly before Terra began her ambush.
Later, Slade fused him, Plasmus and Cinderblock, into the form of an even worse elemental creature named Ternion. Following Slade's defeat at the hands of Terra, however, Ternion was later defused, and its component members went separate ways.
Some time later, Overload was recruited into the Brotherhood of Evil and participated in the capture of Honorary Titans Thunder and Lightning alongside Steamroller and I.N.S.T.I.G.A.T.O.R.. However, when the remaining Titans regrouped and attacked the Brotherhood's base, Overload was defeated by Killowat, who absorbed his electric body, leaving only the circuit card.
Powers and abilities
Overload is a sentient electronic chip that has the ability to manipulate electricity. The most common manifestation of this power is his electric, roughly humanoid body, with the circuit card as its face and core. He can also take over, control and enhance all sorts of electrical devices.
However, his electrical nature also makes Overload highly vulnerable to water. While it does not short-circuit him, it does diminish his power, rendering him eventually helpless if enough water is applied.
- Electrokinesis: Overload has the ability to control electricity as well as shape it.
- Electronic Components: The core of Overload is a robotic chip.
- Electrical Absorption: Overload has the power to absorb electricity.
- Technological Enhancement: Overload has shown the ability to modify technology, as shown when he repaired and enhanced the T-Car in "Car Trouble".
Teen Titans Go!
Video game appearances
Click here to view the gallery.
- Overload is very similar to Marvel comics character, Zzzax, who is also a being composed of electricity.
- Oddly, his second voice actor, Dee Bradley Baker, also voiced Zzzax in the television series Ultimate-Spider Man as well as in the movie Heroes United: Iron Man and Hulk.
- Overload only spoke in one episode, which was "Car Trouble". However, in "Aftershock - Part 1" he gets a voice actor, but he does not speak, as he only makes vocal sounds. This could be due to his voice box being rendered inactive after he was switched off in his first appearance by Cyborg, but in his last appearance he gets it fixed but he does not talk he only grunts when Killowat drained out his electricity. It could also be implied that Overload lost his speaking skills and intelligence due to his new mutated form.