Nevermore is the 6th episode of the Teen Titans series and the first season.
SynopsisThe villainous Dr. Light attempts to loot a gold transport, and even the Teen Titans seem helpless in stopping him. But Dr. Light makes the mistake of antagonizing Raven, who suddenly turns demon-like and draws him inside her cloak with shadowy tentacles. Robin manages to snap her out of it, and Dr. Light is released just in time, severely traumatized. When Beast Boy asks her about what has happened, she snarls at him, her eyes glowing red, before she calms again and slinks into the shadows. The next morning, Beast Boy tries his best, but achieves only the worst, trying to cheer Raven up again. He goes to apologize (with a little "encouragement" from Cyborg) but finds her room empty. Against Cyborg's advice, Beast Boy ends up exploring it and discovers a strange-looking mirror, which sucks him and Cyborg into another dimension, a strange void filled with floating rocks and blood-red stars inhabited by shadowy creatures; they presume that this is Raven's home and the mirror serves as a gateway of sorts.
Right after their arrival, they are beset by a flock of shadowy ravens, and they encounter Raven, who is, to their astonishment, unusually giggly and wearing pink. She tells them of a forbidden door which would be the only way back to Earth. While Beast Boy and Cyborg make their way to the gate, they pass through a sort of dreamworld; the pink Raven vanishes and then pops up again, this time clad in grey and unusually timid and apologetic. She leads them through an indestructible maze, but at the exit they are attacked by a double-faced statue, which proves impervious even to Cyborg's sonic blasts. But just when all hope seems lost, Raven —this time in green and unusually bold —arrives and destroys the creature.
The confusion about Raven's sudden personality and coloration switches is swiftly answered: What Beast Boy and Cyborg have encountered were not one but three different Ravens, each one representing distinct but hidden facets of her personality. Then the real Raven, who has since noticed the intrusion into her room, clears the riddle completely: The strange void is really Raven's mind, and the mirror is a meditation device for tapping into her subconscious. At the moment, however, the inside of her mind is a very dangerous place because the dark heritage of her father, represented by the aspect Rage, had gotten loose the previous night.
This aspect, in the form of her father, attacks Raven right after her elaborations, threatening to consume her completely. Even though she tries to get them back to Earth, since if she loses, both would be trapped inside her mind forever, Beast Boy and Cyborg remain by her side and take up battle against the Rage. Upon their suggestion, Raven fuses her remaining facets within herself and, using their united power, defeats the Rage and reabsorbs her. This fight also creates a new sense of friendship between the three, and upon their return, Raven graciously accepts Beast Boy's offer to cook up dinner.
- This episode's name was a reference to a line in the famous horror poem by Edgar Allen Poe entitled "The Raven".
- When Raven says that the mirror is a portal into her mind and not a toy, her mouth is closed.
- Raven: The mirror you found is for meditation. It's a portal into my MIND, NOT A TOY!!
Beast Boy: [chuckles nervously] My bad.
- Beast Boy: I think this might be where air fresheners come from.
Happy Raven: [laughing] Good one!
Cyborg: You're laughing?!
Beast Boy: At one of my jokes?!
Happy Raven: Sure! I always thought you were funny, BB, but hey - looks aren't everything! [continues to laugh]
- Cyborg: Hey, I know where we are! We're in the place where I didn't know where we were before!
- Happy Raven: Hey, guys! What's up?
- Cyborg: I don't know anymore.
Beast Boy: (To Happy) Why are you wearing Pink?
Happy Raven: 'Cause it's my favorite color?
- Cyborg: Look, I'd love to talk fashion, but I don't suppose you know how to get home.
- Happy Raven: The Forbidden Door. It's the only way out, but you don't want to go there. Not now.
- Beast Boy and Cyborg: [in unison] Er ... yeah, we do.
- Timid Raven: And remember the time I called you both immature pinheads? I'm sorry for that, too. And also the -
Beast Boy: [exasperated] For the hundredth millionth time ...
Beast Boy and Cyborg: [in unison] WE FORGIVE YOU!!
- Beast Boy: What is your deal?! First you nuke breakfast, then finally laugh at my jokes, then you're all weepy, and now you're a Marine? Make up your mind! Who are you?!
[Happy and Timid Raven step up beside the Brave Raven]
All Ravens: I'm Raven.
[Beast Boy faints]
- Beast Boy: (to Raven at breakfast) Wakey Wakey, Tofu eggs & bake-y!!
- Raven: I... I thought you didn't like me.
- Beast Boy: Thought you didn't like me.
- Cyborg: Yo, I like both of you, now get your butts over here!
- Cyborg: Oh no!(chases over Beast boy)We're having real eggs!