"Nevermore" is the sixth episode of the Teen Titans series and the first season.
When Raven becomes out of control during a fight with Doctor Light, the others become worried which leads Beast Boy to sneak into Raven's room with Cyborg to figure out what's going on with her. Beast Boy soon finds a mirror which sucks him and Cyborg into a strange world, now they must find a way out, but while doing so they come across Raven, but each time she appears, she acts differently than before.
The villainous Doctor Light attempts to loot a gold transport, and even the Teen Titans seem helpless in stopping him. But Doctor Light makes the mistake of antagonizing Raven, who suddenly turns demon-like and draws him inside her cloak with shadowy tentacles. Robin manages to snap her out of it, and Doctor Light is released just in time, though severely traumatized. When Beast Boy asks her about what has happened, she snarls at him, her eyes glowing red, before she calms again and slinks into the shadows.
The next morning, Beast Boy tries his best, but achieves only the worst, trying to cheer Raven up again. He goes to apologize (with a little "encouragement" from Cyborg) but finds her room empty. Against Cyborg's advice, Beast Boy ends up exploring it and discovers a strange-looking mirror, which sucks him and Cyborg into another dimension, a strange void filled with floating rocks and blood-red stars inhabited by shadowy creatures; they presume that this is Raven's home and the mirror serves as a gateway of sorts.
Right after their arrival, they are beset by a flock of shadowy ravens, and they encounter Raven, who is, to their astonishment, unusually giggly and wearing pink. She tells them of a forbidden door which would be the only way back to Earth. While Beast Boy and Cyborg make their way to the gate, they pass through a sort of dreamworld; the pink Raven vanishes and then pops up again, this time clad in grey and unusually timid and apologetic. She leads them through an indestructible maze, but at the exit they are attacked by a double-faced statue, which proves impervious even to Cyborg's sonic blasts. But just when all hope seems lost, Raven —this time in green and unusually bold —arrives and destroys the creature.
The confusion about Raven's sudden personality and coloration switches is swiftly answered: What Beast Boy and Cyborg have encountered were not one but three different Ravens, each one representing distinct but hidden facets of her personality. Then the real Raven, who has since noticed the intrusion into her room, clears the riddle completely: The strange void is really Raven's mind, and the mirror is a meditation device for tapping into her subconscious. At the moment, however, the inside of her mind is a very dangerous place because the dark heritage of her father, represented by the aspect Rage, had gotten loose the previous night.
This aspect, in the form of her father, attacks Raven right after her elaborations, threatening to consume her completely. Even though she tries to get them back to Earth, since if she loses, both would be trapped inside her mind forever, Beast Boy and Cyborg remain by her side and take up battle against the Rage. Upon their suggestion, Raven fuses her remaining facets within herself, and, using their united power, defeats the Rage and reabsorbs her. This fight also creates a new sense of friendship between the three, and upon their return, Raven graciously accepts Beast Boy's offer to cook up dinner.
- Written by:
- Greg Klein
- Tom Pugsley
- Directed by:
- Michael Chang
- Also featuring:
- This episode's name was a reference to a line in the famous horror poem by Edgar Allan Poe entitled "The Raven", wherein a raven repeatedly utters the phrase.
- When Raven says that the mirror is a portal into her mind and not a toy, the last four words are aimed right at Beast Boy through gritted teeth.
- Raven's mirror as a portal into her mind may be a subtle reference to Charles Horton Cooley's "Looking-Glass Self" theory of socialization.
- This is the first episode to feature Raven actually smiling.
- When the Emoticlones are swirling very quickly around Raven just before joining her to form White Raven, a red one can be seen. However, Red is Rage. This is probably an animation goof.
- This episode features the first appearance of Doctor Light and Trigon.
- In this episode, Trigon is voiced by Keith Szarabajka; however, in all subsequent appearances, he is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.
- This is the only episode to feature the Emoticlones in Raven's mind.
- Trigon looks different in this episode - he doesn't have horns and his eyes are yellow instead of red. This is probably because he is a part of Raven's mind and is not the real thing.
- Throughout the episode, the button that holds Raven's cloak closed has a raven on it.
- In this episode, Starfire says that Raven is complicated and there are things the others are not meant to understand. Ironically, the whole next episode, "Switched", is about her getting to know Raven better and vice versa, making them better friends
- Towards the end when Robin is trying to hold Starfire back from knocking on Raven's door, Robin is clearly using all the strength he has but Starfire seems much more relaxed. This was one of the early clues that Starfire is actually stronger than Robin and in fact, the strongest member of the Teen Titans.
- When Raven enters her mind to confront Beast Boy and Cyborg, it is unknown if she simply taps into subconsciousness or if her actual body is teleported in as well. However, the former does seem to be the more likely case.
- Raven: (as she begins backing away from her mind's picture of Trigon along with Beast Boy and Cyborg) Let's just say I have issues with my father.
- Cyborg: Happy, timid, brave. Different sides of Raven's personality. We're not in Raven's home.
Beast Boy: We're in her head.
Raven: And I want you out. (Raven then appears and lands in front of her Emoticlones, who then disappear) The mirror you found is for meditation. It's a portal into my MIND, NOT A TOY!!
Beast Boy: (Chuckles nervously) My bad.
- Beast Boy: I think this might be where air fresheners come from.
Happy Raven: (Laughing) Good one!
Cyborg: You're laughing?!
Beast Boy: At one of my jokes?!
Happy Raven: Sure! I always thought you were funny, BB, but hey - looks aren't everything! (Continues to laugh)
- Cyborg: Hey, I know where we are! We're in the place where I didn't know where we were before.
- Happy Raven: Hey, guys! What's up?
Cyborg: I don't know anymore.
- Beast Boy: (To Happy) Why are you wearing pink?
Happy Raven: Cause it's my favorite color?
Beast Boy: It is?
Cyborg: Look, I'd love to talk fashion, but I don't suppose you know how to get home.
Happy Raven: The Forbidden Door. It's the only way out, but you don't want to go there. Not now.
Beast Boy and Cyborg: (In unison) Er ... yeah, we do.
- Timid Raven: And remember the time I called you both immature pinheads? I'm sorry for that, too. And also the--
Beast Boy: (Exasperated) For the hundredth millionth time...
Beast Boy and Cyborg: (In unison) WE FORGIVE YOU!!
- Beast Boy: What is your deal?! First you nuke breakfast, then finally laugh at my jokes, then you're all weepy, and now you're a Marine? Make up your mind! Who are you?!
(Happy and Timid Raven step up beside the Brave Raven)
All Ravens: I'm Raven.
(Beast Boy faints)
- Beast Boy: (to Raven at breakfast) Wakey Wakey, Tofu eggs & bake-y!!
- Raven: You stayed? I... I thought you didn't like me.
Beast Boy: Thought you didn't like me.
Cyborg: Yo, I like both of you, now get your butts over here!
- Starfire: (attempts to knock on Raven's door as Robin tries to hold her back) Please, let us simply...
Robin: Raven asked us not to disturb her!
Starfire: She could be weeping and...
Robin: I don't want to bother her!
Starfire: But if we merely... (Raven's door opens. Starfire gasps and knocks Robin to the floor)
Robin: Where have you guys been?
Cyborg: Just getting to know each other.
Starfire: Come friends! We shall prepare a new breakfast feast!
Beast Boy: It's a little late for breakfast, Star. Maybe just some herbal tea.
Raven: Actually, breakfast sounds nice.
Beast Boy: (smiles) Breakfast for dinner, coming right up!
Cyborg: (chases Beast Boy) Oh no! I'm cooking this time! We're having real eggs!
Click here to view the gallery.