- I'm here. He may have bricks for brains, but I can see enough.
- ―Jericho inside Cinderblock[src]
Jericho is a mute and lives a life of solitude atop a flowery mountain summit in Tibet. At first glance, he appears far too peaceful for combat.
Nothing is revealed about Jericho's life and activities before he became an Honorary Titan. He is introduced when Beast Boy is sent to him to present him with a Titan communicator so he could call for help if threatened by the Brotherhood of Evil. Unbeknownst to the Titans at that time, however, the Brain had—thanks to Madame Rouge—gained access to one of the communicator devices and was now using it to track down any of the Honorary Titans, thus foiling Robin's plan to form a unified global network against the Brotherhood. Shortly after he receives the communicator, Jericho is attacked by Fang and Private H.I.V.E., but manages to defeat them single-handedly, though how he fought them is not shown.
Robin then sends off a scrambling signal which burns out his communicator in order to stop the Brain from tracking them. Later on, Jericho is picked up by Herald and brought to a secret emergency shelter, where they, Más and Pantha united under Beast Boy's leadership to attack the Brotherhood in their own base.
At first the others are disappointed to see him, and not whom they were expecting, since he seems to be too innocent to be of any use, with Pantha even mildly insulting him on that. Then, when Beast Boy asks the Titans what powers they have, he simply indicates to his eyes, which leaves Beast Boy confused. It seems that only Herald knew about his abilities at that time. His powers prove vital to their plan when he manages to possess Cinderblock, thus gaining access to the base with his fellow Titans posing as his prisoners.
During their first round with the Brotherhood's allies, he takes temporary possession of Control Freak before jumping to Trident and Mad Mod in quick succession to avoid various attackers, but he is finally overpowered by Gizmo.
He is then being held prisoner by Killer Moth until unexpected reinforcements arrive on the scene, led by Cyborg, Starfire and Raven, and the battle commences once more, with the Titans eventually emerging victorious. Jericho was not seen much during the second phase of the battle, but was shown to have defeated See-More right before the H.I.V.E. tries to escape. Jericho is last seen socializing with the other Titans, and was pictured participating in a mass-take down of Doctor Light right afterward. He was partially hidden behind the cloud that Thunder was floating on, so was assumed not there by many viewers. Jericho makes a cameo in the episode "Homecoming - Part 2".
Jericho has lime green eyes and blonde hair, with two locks framing his face. Note that they are not side burns in this adaptation. His outfit consists of a long-sleeved white shirt underneath a purple tunic with a gold belt, black pants and purple boots. There are also golden braces connected to the ends of his sleeves and the tops of his boots.
Almost nothing is truly revealed about Jericho's personality, but we can conclude that he is an innocent, caring, and kind-hearted pacifist who does not particularly enjoy fighting and violence. However, when a crisis is at hand, Jericho will fight with surprising skill.
Powers and abilities
Jericho has the unique ability to possess any living being he can make eye contact with. Immediately after eye contact is made, he transforms into a see-through matter that can phase through things, in which Jericho phases into the body of the person he is possessing, giving him complete control. It is easy to tell when he takes control of someone as their eyes will turn the same color as his own.
Jericho is also able to access the knowledge and memories of those under his influence. An obvious weakness to this ability is that Jericho does not always know the personality and traits of the person he is possessing. An example of this comes from the time he possessed Cinderblock. Before the episode "Titans Together", there was no indication at all that Cinderblock could speak.
When Jericho possessed Cinderblock, he spoke through Cinderblock, which startled Private H.I.V.E, blowing the Titans' cover. Note that while Jericho himself is mute, he could speak while in Cinderblock's form as Cinderblock's body had functional vocal chords, when his own body did not. Another weakness is that he cannot possess anyone if he is not in direct eye-to-eye contact or if his vision is obscured, his power is rendered useless. Once Jericho is inside someone, he can jump to someone else in an instant, leaving his former "puppet" unconscious, as shown in Titans Together. It is also possible that he uses his guitar as a weapon. Also, Jericho seems to have some degree of hand-to-hand experience, as he managed to beat Private H.I.V.E and Fang down before his communicator exploded.
Jericho is a talented musician.
Since Jericho's abilities depend on his eyes, if he is ambushed from behind (as shown in "Titans Together" when Gizmo comes from behind) or gets his eyes covered, he is rendered powerless and defenseless. Jericho's dislike for fighting leads to some conflict. Also, his muteness provides difficulty with verbal communication.
New Teen Titans shorts
- "Kidz Korner 4 Kidz" (Cameo)
Teen Titans Go!
Click here to view the gallery.
- Jericho aka Joseph Wilson was first introduced in 1984 in the mainstream comic series The New Teen Titans in the classic adventure The Judas Contract. He was the son of Slade, the Titans's enemy, but helped them thwart his father's attempt to destroy them. He continued as their ally and later an official member of the team.
- A relationship to Slade in the animated series is never mentioned or explored.
- In the mainstream comic series, Joseph Wilson was a talented musician and singer while at primary-school age. While still a little boy, he was kidnapped by terrorists and his father accidentally destroyed his vocal chords while trying to rescue him. Angered by the injuries done to her son, Joseph's mother shot Slade, her husband, causing him to lose his right eye.
- In the comics, Jericho is possessed by the essence of Trigon and turns against the Titans, forcing Slade to kill him. He then takes over Slade's body right as he is killed and later comes back to fight the Titans. He claims that the Titans are too dangerous for children, since he himself died as a Titan, and cripples Kid Flash as a message to the Titans.
- In the comics, Jericho fell in love with fellow Teen Titan member Kole. After coming back from a mission in outer space with some of the other members, he found out about Kole's death during the first Crisis, which affected him greatly. He also had a short relationship with Raven.
- Jericho's love of music is also shown in the comics, as he spent a lot of his free time playing the guitar, including performing at some places.
- Jericho was brought back to life in the current version of the Teen Titans DC mainstream comics with a new body but, for some reason, he still uses sign language to communicate.
- In the Teen Titans Go! comic "Pieces of Me," Jericho uses his powers to put Raven's scattered Emoticlones back together. The fusion process he applies could be an extent of his regular power or, more likely, the Emoticlones' minds work differently from their usual hosts. He does something fairly similar to this in the Terror of Trigon arc in the New Teen Titans (vol. 2) comics. In the same Teen Titans Go! comic, Jericho and Raven are seen coming from the movies with Robin and Starfire; the 4 of them appeared to be on a double date.
- Jericho and Kyd Wykkyd are the only characters in Teen Titans to be mute (except when he is controlling people's mind and body).