"Every Dog Has Its Day" is the fifteenth episode of the Teen Titans series and the second episode of Season Two.
Feeling unwanted by the other Titans, Beast Boy heads into the city where he encounters a green dog and is then abducted by its owner who refuses to release him. The Titans also encounter this dog, but believe it to be Beast Boy who is unable to change back into his human form.
Feeling lonely and left out by his busy teammates, Beast Boy goes to town and meets two girls. Trying to impress them, he turns into a green dog, only to be shooed away. As Beast Boy is wandering around in dog form, he bumps into another green dog. A flying saucer mistakes Beast Boy as that green dog and zaps him inside.
The Teen Titans find Beast Boy's Titan communicator near where he was zapped and the green alien dog appears. Mistaking the green dog to be Beast Boy, the Titans chase it around town. Meanwhile, Soto, the owner of the alien, realizes Beast Boy is not his dog, but takes a liking to him because he can change into any pet. Soto plans to take Beast Boy back to his planet.
After some chasing, the Titans realize the green dog was not Beast Boy, but has to find a way to capture the dog. They use Raven as a bait (the dog loves Raven) to trap the dog into one of Cyborg's contraptions.
Now in desperation, the trapped dog introduces himself as Soto's Dog, an intelligent dog from another planet. (The Titans are shocked to see that he reveals to talk!) He made a deal with the Titans: If they free him he will reveal everything to them. So after Robin accepts, Soto's Dog tells his story: He was owned by a giant alien named Soto, who treated him badly even though he was more intelligent than his master. To escape his control, the dog escaped from his flying saucer when it passed by Earth. Soto had been looking for his dog and had accidentally captured Beast Boy instead of his real dog.
The Titans, armed with the information from Soto's Dog, reach the place where the flying saucer is parked and managed to prevent it from taking off. The enraged Soto emerges from the ship and begins a fight with the Titans. Soto, being a giant made out of stone, barely takes any damage while the Titans are constantly attacked by a barrage of punches. Beast Boy suddenly emerges from the ship, with Soto's Dog following him. Beast Boy transforms into a Tyrannosaurus Rex and slams Soto into a tree. The rest of the Titans follow his lead, and with their combined forces, manage to subdue Soto. Soto's Dog had apparently freed Beast Boy and now places the collar onto Soto's neck with his elongated tongue. Soto's Dog now proclaims himself to no longer be a pet and Soto, with sudden enthusiasm, willingly chooses to be the pet. Soto and his dog then depart on the flying saucer.
The Titans tell Beast Boy that they actually cared about him and didn't mean to make him feel alone. Raven suggests that they have pizza, but Beast Boy proclaims that he has had enough attention for one day.
- Written by:
- Directed by:
- Soto's Dog was credited as Alien Dog.
- This episode features the only appearance of Soto and his Dog.
- This is the second time both Raven and Starfire meditate together, the first time was "Switched".
- This is the first comedic episode that has not had its theme song sung in Japanese.
- This is the only episode that shows one of Starfire’s bare legs.
- Soto's dog being intelligent may be a reference to Mister Peabody from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
- Soto's catchphrase "Soto smash!" is a reference to The Incredible Hulk's catchphrase "Hulk smash!".
- In this episode, there are several goof scenes when Cyborg's left ear is human instead of metal:
- As Beast Boy was about to mess up the T-Car with a smoke tool, Cyborg's left ear is human instead of metal when he turned his head and used a panicked stutter.
- While after Soto's dog belched out the car bumper he ate, and before the Titans could react to it being covered in saliva, Cyborg's left ear is human again.
- As Cyborg said to Soto's dog "When Cyborg builds it, nobody breaks it.", his left ear is human again.
- When Cyborg, Robin, and Starfire watch Soto running towards them before the shot cuts to him charging, Cyborg's left ear turned human again.
- When Robin and Cyborg can think of some ideas for the green dog, Starfire's arm turned purple like her outfit.
- When Starfire is pushing Soto's spaceship to the ground, her armband is gone for a moment, then it appeared in the next scene.
- Robin chops the tree that Soto is using as a weapon into small parts, making Soto end up holding a very short part of the tree. In another scene shortly after this, Soto is holding a much larger piece of tree than he was when Robin sliced it up.
- Several times in this episode, Raven's proportions were changed. For example, once the Titans are done staring at the alien dog after he talks, Raven is very short and her legs are too long.
- As Soto fights Robin, his mouth didn't move when he said "Soto smash!".
- After Beast Boy, as an elephant, hits Soto, we can see Raven without her hood on way far back with the Titans watching.
- When the Titans congratulate Beast Boy, Cyborg's mouth was opened for a second, and then it moved when he said "Gimme some love, dog."
- After that when Starfire hugs Beast Boy, Cyborg's mouth disappears.
Click here to view the gallery.
Click here to view the episode transcript.