Birthmark is the 42nd episode of the Teen Titans series and the third episode of season 4.
Dr. Light is back and tearing up an oil rig off the coast line. The Titans arrive to stop him; they could see what he was doing from their living room. Once again, Dr. Light proves he can hold his own against the Titans until Raven sneaks up behind him and scares the daylights out of him, just like she did in Nevermore. Dr. Light hastily surrenders. Cyborg declares in celebration of their victory, it's time for donuts. Raven refuses and goes back to the tower saying she just wants to get back before tomorrow comes, leaving the other Titans to wonder, what's so special about tomorrow? The shot then moves underground to a dark cave. The ground shakes and a very familiar black, gloved, armored arm breaks through the dirt. Slade rises from the ash saying only four words:
"The day has begun."
Back at the tower, Raven sits in her room watching the clock, waiting for midnight for an unexplained reason. Then, she hears a loud noise outside her room. She walks into the hall to investigate. She finds her way into the living room where she finds Beast Boy, Starfire, Cyborg, and Robin have thrown her a surprise party. When Raven asks how they knew it was her birthday, Beast Boy replies that after Raven made the comment about wanting to be home before tomorrow came, he wanted to learn what was so special about tomorrow. He did a little hacking in the Titans computer and found it was her birthday. But before the party can continue, Raven destroys the decorations in a rage and storms out wishing there to be no party at all. Before she makes it back to her room, Robin confronts her in the hall wishing to know what's wrong. Robin says that they are connected by the fact Raven has been in his mind (in Haunted) and that she should let him in hers to know what's wrong. Raven simply replies "If you knew anything about the day of my birth, you'd know there's nothing to celebrate." Back in her room, Raven watches the clock again only wanting the day to end. She begins to meditate to calm herself. Suddenly, her room erupts in flame. A voice echoes through the room -- a dark, deep, sinister voice we heard from the giant red demon from the episode Nevermore. The voice says that she, Raven, will fulfill her destiny, she has no other choice. It says "the portal must be opened!" A mark then writes itself in flame on the wall. Upon seeing the flaming mark, Raven screams and the flames die. The room is back to normal. Robin emerges in to find out why she screamed, but before any type of explanation can be given, the alarm goes off. The Titans go to a factory somewhere in town to the report of an intruder. When they get there, they find themselves face to face with their old enemy. Slade. Once the Titans snap out of their amazement, they begin the usual pre-fight threats, including the first reference to Terra since her "death", with Beast Boy saying to Slade "Terra took you down. Waydown." Robin declares he's still ready to take him down which Slade replies he didn't come back for him. Then, the mark we saw burning in Raven's room earlier appears on Slade's head. Without warning, Slade somehow launches a jet of fire from his hands directly at Raven.
Raven manages to dodge the blast and a shocking battle ensues. Slade has new found powers over fire and is using them to massively overpower the Titans. The Titans pull out their finest moves but absolutely nothing can stop him. After he has disposed of the other Titans, Slade moves in on Raven. But instead of attacking, Slade says he has a message for her. He then grabs Raven's arm and burns the symbol onto it. Slade then starts to destroy the entire place thus putting the other Titans in danger. Most notably Robin, who is going to be crushed by a giant gear. Raven freaks out and shouts "STOP!" The gem on her cloak glows green and suddenly, everything and everyone but her stops moving. Raven has somehow stopped time. But not even time manipulation can stop Slade as he begins moving again. Raven, completely freaked out now, begins to run. In order to keep Robin from being crushed from the gear if time starts moving again, she frees him from her time spell and he moves too. But before she can free the others, Slade closes in and she is forced to flee. Once outside, Robin begins with the questions "Why is Slade back? Where did he get those powers? How did you stop time?" But, again, before she can answer, Slade drops in and starts attacking again. Robin tells Raven to run while he handles Slade. Robin stands no chance against Slade with his new powers. When he kicks Slade right in the head, Slade simply cracks his bones back in place; a strange ability for someone who is supposedly alive. Raven returns to help Robin. She takes him into a cathedral to hide. While there, Raven starts to explain a little. She says that when she was born, they (presumably the priests of Azarath, as it isn't explained who) looked into her future and saw that on this day, something very bad is supposed to happen. That's why she didn't want to celebrate. Robin then asks about the symbol on Slade's head and what it means but Slade, yet again, interrupts the answer. He immediately takes out Robin. It's just Raven against Slade now.
Raven begins running again but Slade follows and will not stop. "The message must be delivered," he says. The chase takes to the skies as Raven flies through the city in any attempt to escape but she can not shake him. Slade catches up and traps her atop a skyscraper. He tears off her cloak to reveal more symbols on her back. Raven stands and fights him knowing there's nowhere to run. But she can't do it, Slade easily overpowers her. He declares "The message will be delivered; your destiny will be fulfilled". The symbol on Slade's head now appears on Raven's as well. Her clothes begin to tear away to reveal more symbols all over her body. Her hair begins to grow long. The sun begins rising and setting very fast as the days pass before their eyes. Suddenly, it stops and Slade lets go. Raven stares at the city. The sky is blood red, the city is in ruins, the tower sits, destroyed, in an ocean of lava, the four eyed crows from Nevermore sit everywhere, and Cyborg, Robin, Starfire, and Beast Boy stand on the street turned completely to stone, being held by little ghost type demons, also turned to stone.
Slade says this is her destiny, this is the world she is doomed to create. Then, the giant red demon from Nevermore emerges in the city tall and laughing evilly. Slade then says, "This will come to pass; I will make sure of it. You are going to destroy the world Raven. It's written all over your face". Raven screams out in horror, then the vision ends, with time returning back to normal. Raven was unconscious. Slade lets go and Raven, who was still unconscious, falls off the top of the building and Slade said, "We'll be in touch. Oh, and Happy Birthday". Before she can hit the ground, Robin swings in, saves her then takes her home.
Back in her room, Raven cuts off her extra hair. A knock comes at her door. She answers it to find arrows on the ground leading her to the living room where the Titans have set up a second party. The Titans tell her they still like her even after what's happened. This time Raven agrees to the party but they're going to need ice-cream. Robin tells Raven that they will find Slade and they will learn why he was after her. As he walks off, Raven looks down to see two symbols appears on her hands. She says "This is only the beginning."
The shot changes to a cave again where Slade kneels in a ring of fire. Slade speaks to the wall, "The first task is complete....master. The message has been sent. The inscriptions are in place. She knows what she must do. The prophecy will be fulfilled". The symbol on Slade's head appears on the wall and the evil voice from earlier echoes from it in a reply, "And the world of mortals shall soon be ended".
- Dr. Light: No one defeats Dr. Light! No one!
Raven: Remember me?
Dr. Light (obviously mortified): ...I'd like to go to jail now please...
- Slade: (emerges from the ground) The day has begun.
- Everyone: SURPRISE!!!!!!!!! Raven: (screams and hides) Cyborg: Uhh....Raven? Starfire: It is merely us. Your friends with warm wishes for the day of your birth. Robin: I told you a surprise party was a bad Idea. Raven: (sneaks up behind Beast Boy, scaring him) How did you know it was my birthday? Beast Boy: Umm... Remember last night how you made that big deal about tomorrow? Well, we started wondering what tomorrow was, so we did some snooping. (everyone glares at Beast Boy) Ok, I did some snooping and I sort of found a restricted file in the off-limits area of the Titans computer. It kinda had your birthday on it. (a flashback of Beast Boy snooping on the computer comes up) Starfire: And we have been preparing your celebration ever since. Beast Boy: We've put up tons of decorations. Cyborg: I've baked my famous eight-layer cake with three kinds of frosting. Starfire: And I have essembled for you a traditional Tamaranean Throknarr. The crown of meat! Robin: I hope this is ok. We just.... Raven: No, it's not! Look, I really appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I'm not interested. Starfire: But there will be music, and the iced-cream. And the strange game involving pins in the behind of a donkey. Cyborg: We got a pinata shaped like Beast Boy! You know you wanna smack it. Raven: I said 'No!' Beast Boy: Come on, Raven! I know you hate fun, but it's your birthday. It's special. You can't let this day end without.... Raven: (angry) NO!!!!!! (destroys the decorations, the food, the games, and the presents and leaves. With the party destroyed, the Titans just stand there sad and confused) Beast Boy: I told you a surprise party was a bad idea. Robin: Give it a rest. (goes out to talk to Raven) Raven, what's wrong? Raven: I just don't like parties. Robin: It's more than that. I can tell. We have a bond, remember? You've been inside my mind. Let me inside yours. Raven: Robin, you know me better than anyone. You should know there are places in my mind where you can't go. Where no one should ever go. Robin: I'm willing to try if you... Raven: You can't. Robin: Tell me what's going on. Raven: Just trust me. If you knew anything about the day of my birth, you know there's nothing to celebrate. (walks to her room)
- Raven: (Scared of seeing her friends in danger, she screams and her powers stops time) STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
- Raven: I just want this day to end!
Slade: I think we both know this day is far from over. Hello, birthday girl. Ready for your present?
- Robin: You're here with friends. It's over.
Raven: No... (Looks at the marks on her hands) This is just the beginning.
- Slade: The first task is complete... master. The message has been sent. The inscriptions are in place, she knows what she must do. The prophecy will be fulfilled.
Trigon: (Voice) Then the world of mortals shall soon be ended.
- Raven: (scared, she looks around and and wonders how she stopped time) How did I... Slade: You might be able to stop time birthday girl but you can't stop me, you can't stop any of it really. I have to say, Raven, when I found out the truth I was very impressed. All this time I had no idea, the power lurking inside you, the glorious destiny that awaits. It's always the quiet ones, isn't it? But honestly, did you think you could just blow out the candles and wish it all away? Today is the day it begins. You've known this all your life, it is going to happen and no matter what you wish, no matter where you go, no matter how you squirm, there is nothing you can do to stop it.
- Cyborg: Woah!
Slade: Woah? That's it? No clever comment? I was looking forward to that.
- Slade: I have a message for you and I will deliver it whether you like or not. The skies will burn! Flesh will become stone! The sun will set on your world, never to rise again!
- Robin: What is going on? Why is Slade back? Where did he get those powers? How did you stop time? Raven: I'm not sure. I never wanted this day to come. And when it did, I just wanted it to stop. I guess I got my wish. Robin: What is happening? Raven: It's my birthday.
- Raven: (Looks impatienly at her alarm clock) Can't this thing go any faster!?! Oh, I just want this day to be over! Relax. Only a few hours to go. It might not even happen. Focus. Meditate. It'll be midnight before you know it. Azarath Metrion Zinthos. Azarath Metrion Zinthos. Azarath...(Suddenly, Raven begins to cough and grabs her neck. Her room goes up in flames and she hears a big booming voice) Trigon: (Voice) What you have concealed you shall become. You have no other choice. Your destiny will be fulfilled. (Raven's alarm clock goes up in flames and the fire forms a huge letter S in front of Raven's door) The portal must be opened! Raven: (Shocked at what she is hearing, Raven screams in horror as the flames in her room disappears) NO!!!!!!! (becomes exhausted with fear but calms down a bit. Robin knocks on her bedroom door and she answers) Robin: I heard you scream. (before Raven can tell the reason why she screamed the alarm goes off) Raven: Trouble.
- Beast Boy: (makes kitten face) Umm..... Surprise? Cyborg: Look, we know you didn't wanna party. But after today.... Starfire: We hoped that you might reconsider. Beast Boy: You may not like your birthday, but we're all glad you were born. (Silence) Raven: We're going to need ice cream. Beast Boy: Coming right up! Cyborg: I'll cut the cake! Starfire: And I shall fetch the Throknarr! Robin: You sure you're ok? Raven: I will be. Robin: What you told me about your destiny. That something bad was suppose to happen. I guess it did. I'm sorry I couldn't stop it. Raven: No one could. Robin: We will find Slade. We'll figure out how he did what he did and why he was after you. But right now, you're safe. You're here with friends. It's over. Raven: (symbols on her hands appear) No, this was just the beginning.
- Raven: (After escaping Slade and taking refudge in a cathedral, Robin collapsed on the floor and Raven holds him in her arms) I shouldn't have dragged you into this. Any of you and now you're in. And you need to know. I need to tell you. When I was born, they looked into my future. On this day, the anniversary of my birth, something is supposed to happen. Something very bad. That's why I didn't want to celebrate. But just because you don't have a party doesn't mean it's not your birthday. (Slade walks around the church to find Raven and Robin) Robin: (Regains consciousness) The symbol on his forehead. What does it mean? Slade:(But before Raven could answer, Slade bursts into the cathedral. He manages to knock out Robin and knock Raven to the ground. As Raven gets up, she turns to see Slade kneeling in front of her) It's just you and me now, kid.
- Raven: (Seeing the future of the prophecy) No! Slade: Yes. Look at it. Drink it in. Behold to world you are destined to create. (Just then, a silhouette of Raven's evil demonic father, Trigon, appears and roars) Raven: No! I won't do it! This is just a vision! This can't be real! Slade: (Slade grabs her arms and leans his head on her shoulder) This is the future. Your future. It began the day you were born and nothing can stop it. This will come to pass. I will make sure of it. You're going to destroy the world, Raven. It's written all over your face. Raven: (Scared and horrified at all of this lets out a devasted scream) NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (As Raven screams, a form of a raven appears and disappears, ending the vision, and returning time back to normal. Raven becomes unconscious and the symbols all over her body disappears) Slade: (lets go of Raven while she is unconscious and she falls from the building) We'll be in touch. Oh, and Happy Birthday.
- Robin: (After Robin saves Raven from falling to her death, she regains consciouness and Robin smiles at her) Let's go home.
- When Robin shouted "Titans, go!" Beast Boy turned into a Velociraptor. However, his Velociraptor form doesn't look the size of a small animal and almosts looks like his Utahraptor form.
- This episode marks the first time in the series that Raven is shown with long hair. The second time is the episode The End - Part 3, when Raven adopts the 'White Raven' form.
- There is an error on Robin's outfit in this episode. When Robin caught Raven, his sleeves aren't there.
- Cyborg said the cake had eight layers, but only 7 were seen.