"Birthmark" is the forty-second episode of the Teen Titans series and the third episode of Season 4.
Doctor Light is back and tearing up an oil rig off the coast line. The Titans arrive to stop him; they could see what he was doing from their living room. Once again, Doctor Light proves he can hold his own against the Titans until Raven sneaks up behind him and scares the daylights out of him, just like she did in "Nevermore". Doctor Light hastily surrenders. Cyborg declares in celebration of their victory, it's time for donuts. Raven refuses and goes back to the tower saying she just wants to get back before tomorrow comes, leaving the other Titans to wonder, what's so special about tomorrow? The shot then moves underground to a dark cave. The ground shakes and a very familiar black, gloved, armored arm breaks through the dirt. Slade rises from the ash saying only four words:
"The day has begun."
Back at the tower, Raven sits in her room watching the clock, waiting for midnight for an unexplained reason. Then, she hears a loud noise outside her room. She walks into the hall to investigate. She finds her way into the living room where she finds Beast Boy, Starfire, Cyborg, and Robin have thrown her a surprise party. When Raven asks how they knew it was her birthday, Beast Boy replies that after Raven made the comment about wanting to be home before tomorrow came, he wanted to learn what was so special about tomorrow. He did a little hacking in the Titans computer and found it was her birthday. But before the party can continue, Raven destroys the decorations in a rage and storms out wishing there to be no party at all. Before she makes it back to her room, Robin confronts her in the hall wishing to know what's wrong. Robin says that they are connected by the fact Raven has been in his mind (in Haunted) and that she should let him in hers to know what's wrong. Raven simply replies "If you knew anything about the day of my birth, you'd know there's nothing to celebrate." Back in her room, Raven watches the clock again only wanting the day to end. She begins to meditate to calm herself. Suddenly, her room erupts in flame. A voice echoes through the room -- a dark, deep, sinister voice we heard from the giant red demon from the episode Nevermore. The voice says that she, Raven, will fulfill her destiny, she has no other choice. It says "the portal must be opened!" A mark then writes itself in flame on the wall. Upon seeing the flaming mark, Raven screams and the flames die. The room is back to normal. Robin emerges in to find out why she screamed, but before any type of explanation can be given, the alarm goes off. The Titans go to a factory somewhere in town to the report of an intruder. When they get there, they find themselves face to face with their old enemy. Slade. Once the Titans snap out of their amazement, they begin the usual pre-fight threats, including the first reference to Terra since her "death", with Beast Boy saying to Slade "Terra took you down. Way down." Robin declares he's still ready to take him down which Slade replies he didn't come back for him. Then, the mark we saw burning in Raven's room earlier appears on Slade's head. Without warning, Slade somehow launches a jet of fire from his hands directly at Raven.
Raven manages to dodge the blast and a shocking battle ensues. Slade has new found powers over fire and is using them to massively overpower the Titans. The Titans pull out their finest moves but absolutely nothing can stop him. After he has disposed of the other Titans, Slade moves in on Raven. But instead of attacking, Slade says he has a message for her. He then grabs Raven's arm and burns the symbol onto it. Slade then starts to destroy the entire place thus putting the other Titans in danger. Most notably Robin, who is going to be crushed by a giant gear. Raven freaks out and shouts "STOP!" The gem on her cloak glows green and suddenly, everything and everyone but her stops moving. Raven has somehow stopped time. But not even time manipulation can stop Slade as he begins moving again. Raven, completely freaked out now, begins to run. In order to keep Robin from being crushed from the gear if time starts moving again, she frees him from her time spell and he moves too. But before she can free the others, Slade closes in and she is forced to flee. Once outside, Robin begins with the questions "Why is Slade back? Where did he get those powers? How did you stop time?" But, again, before she can answer, Slade drops in and starts attacking again. Robin tells Raven to run while he handles Slade. Robin stands no chance against Slade with his new powers. When he kicks Slade right in the head, Slade simply cracks his bones back in place; a strange ability for someone who is supposedly alive. Raven returns to help Robin. She takes him into a cathedral to hide. While there, Raven starts to explain a little. She says that when she was born, they (presumably the priests of Azarath, as it isn't explained who) looked into her future and saw that on this day, something very bad is supposed to happen. That's why she didn't want to celebrate. Robin then asks about the symbol on Slade's head and what it means but Slade, yet again, interrupts the answer. He immediately takes out Robin. It's just Raven against Slade now.
Raven begins running again but Slade follows and will not stop. "The message must be delivered," he says. The chase takes to the skies as Raven flies through the city in any attempt to escape but she can not shake him. Slade catches up and traps her atop a skyscraper. He tears off her cloak to reveal more symbols on her back. Raven stands and fights him knowing there's nowhere to run. But she can't do it, Slade easily overpowers her. He declares "The message will be delivered; your destiny will be fulfilled". The symbol on Slade's head now appears on Raven's as well. Her clothes begin to tear away to reveal more symbols all over her body. Her hair begins to grow long. The sun begins rising and setting very fast as the days pass before their eyes. Suddenly, it stops and Slade lets go. Raven stares at the city. The sky is blood red, the city is in ruins, the tower sits, destroyed, in an ocean of lava, the four eyed crows from Nevermore sit everywhere, and Cyborg, Robin, Starfire, and Beast Boy stand on the street turned completely to stone, being held by little ghost type demons, also turned to stone.
Slade says this is her destiny, this is the world she is doomed to create. Then, the giant red demon from Nevermore emerges in the city tall and laughing evilly. Slade then says, "This will come to pass; I will make sure of it. You are going to destroy the world Raven. It's written all over your face". Raven screams out in horror, then the vision ends, with time returning back to normal. Raven was unconscious. Slade lets go and Raven, who was still unconscious, falls off the top of the building and Slade said, "We'll be in touch. Oh, and Happy Birthday". Before she can hit the ground, Robin swings in, saves her, then takes her home.
Back in her room, Raven cuts off her extra hair. A knock comes at her door. She answers it to find arrows on the ground leading her to the living room where the Titans have set up a second party. The Titans tell her they still like her even after what's happened. This time, Raven agrees to the party but they're going to need ice-cream. Robin tells Raven that they will find Slade and they will learn why he was after her. As he walks off, Raven looks down to see two symbols appears on her hands. She says "This is only the beginning."
The shot changes to a cave again where Slade kneels in a ring of fire. Slade speaks to the wall, "The first task is complete....master. The message has been sent. The inscriptions are in place. She knows what she must do. The prophecy will be fulfilled". The symbol on Slade's head appears on the wall and the evil voice from earlier echoes from it in a reply, "And the world of mortals shall soon be ended".
- When Robin shouted "Titans, go!", Beast Boy turned into a Velociraptor. However, his Velociraptor form doesn't look the size of a small animal and almost looks like his Utahraptor form.
- In the future premonition where Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Cyborg are turned to stone, Robin isn't wearing his mask. You can see his eyes.
- Innuendo: When Slade tears off Raven’s clothes, it is clearly shown that she does not wear a bra, or underwear of any kind underneath her leotard. This makes sense, however, as leotards tend to expose any underwear that is worn underneath, so they are usually omitted by the people who wear them.
- This episode marks the first time in the series that Raven is shown with long hair. The second time is the episode "The End - Part 3", when Raven adopts the 'White Raven' form.
- This episode marks the return of Slade, who supposedly died in "Aftershock - Part 2".
- This episode also features the first time Terra is mentioned by name since "Aftershock - Part 2".
- This episode is also marks the third time in the series where a Titan's clothes were torn. The first time being Robin's in Haunted, the second time being Beast Boy's in "The Beast Within".
- This appears to be the only episode where Raven's clothes on her arms, back, and her belly are ripped to expose her markings; in later episodes, the markings just appear on her open limbs and on her clothes with anything exposing. However this received controversial feedback by some analysis, for a kids show.
- As Raven leaves from her first birthday surprise, Robin chases her and reminds her of the time she went inside his mind in "Haunted".
- There is an error on Robin's outfit in this episode. When Robin caught Raven, his sleeves aren't there.
- Cyborg said the cake had eight layers, but only seven were seen.
- When Slade rips Raven's cloak off, it takes off the suit on her back as well, and the part of her leotard on top of her shoulders. However, when the rest of her leotard vanishes, the remaining bits are over her shoulders and across her back, even though those parts were ripped off.
- At the end of the episode, when Raven is surprised by the Titans once again, each Titan is cycled through in a panorama style. When the camera shifts to Starfire, she has a belly button. She never had one throughout the show. This is the only occasion in the series in which she has a belly button. However, the next time the camera shows Starfire, it is gone.
- When Raven's birthmarks appear in this episode, almost her entire suit, namely the part covering her belly and back, is diminished. In "The Prophecy" and "The End - Part 1," it just forms on top of her unexposed limbs.
- After the first time that Slade burns away part of Raven's suit, it's back in the next scene, then it goes back to being gone.
- Raven's mouth does not move when she screams "No!".
Click here to view the gallery.