"Aftershock - Part 2" is the continuation of "Aftershock - Part 1", and the season finale of Season 2. It is the twenty-sixth episode of Teen Titans series.
Terra opens the episode with an internal monologue, saying that she has done terrible things: having eliminated the Teen Titans, brought an entire city to its knees, and concluding that she has no regret for it (although the way she says it suggests otherwise)
She is patrolling the dusty, deserted city making sure it is clear of the Teen Titans and stationing swarms of Slade's robots everywhere when suddenly the Titans appear and ambush her. Terra tries to fight back but she is overwhelmed as they attack from all sides with an unrelenting ferocity. Left with no other option, Terra retreats to another part of the city. Slade berates her for fleeing and commands her to stay and fight. The Titans hone in on her location and resume the attack. Despite her best efforts, Terra is effortlessly defeated. She calls Slade for help and he sends Overload, Cinderblock and Plasmus to the scene, where they fuse into a gigantic hulking monster named Ternion.
Terra runs back to Slade's hideout, thinking she is safe, but Slade begins to beat her savagely, saying she has failed her mission. It finally dawns on Terra that Slade never actually cared about her, and he tells her that she chose to be with him, and that it's far too late for her to change her mind; Terra angrily replies that it's not too late for her to walk out the door. However, when she tries to rip her suit off, she discovers that it is fused to her skin. She then tries to leave, but the suit becomes fully integrated into her nervous system, giving Slade complete control over her actions.
The Titans continue to fight Ternion and Slade's minions, and they eventually bring the monster down. Beast Boy slips away during the fight to go after Terra, unaware that the rest of his team is tracking him; he arrives in Slade's underground base and witnesses Terra being tortured. She begs him to kill her, asking if that's what he came for. Slade attacks Beast Boy through Terra, who has resigned herself to his control. Terra continues to plead with Beast Boy to destroy her, while he insists that she is strong enough to take control, and that Slade has never had any hold over her. Beast Boy successfully dodges Terra's attacks until she catches him in a rock-slide, trapping his foot and pinning him in place.
Slade forces her to move in and finish him off. Beast Boy implores her to fight back, saying she can still do the right thing. Terra solemnly replies that it's too late. The other Titans arrive as she forms a pointed rock to finish him off. The Titans beg her not to do it and poise to attack her. Beast Boy tells her that it's never too late to change, and Terra earnestly apologizes to Beast Boy for what she has done.
Terra then turns on Slade, effortlessly driving him back. They fight one on one until Terra unleashes a vicious wave of earthly energy on Slade shouting out, "You can't control me anymore!" The attack sends Slade flying backwards into a pool of lava below, ending his rule over the city, temporarily. Unfortunately, the power of Terra's attack awakens a volcano powerful enough to annihilate the entire city. Beast Boy approaches her and asks her to come with them and evacuate the city before the volcano erupts, but she says that she's the only one who can stop it. Beast Boy says it's too late, but Terra smiles and quotes him by saying "It's never too late." She puts her arms around him and they share one last loving embrace before she tearfully tells Beast Boy, "You were the best friend I ever had." She then pushes him away towards the exit on a rock.
The Titans escape and Terra gives a scream as she absorbs all her power and manages to stop the volcano, but in the process turns herself to stone. The next day, the Titans visit the site where she stands as a statue and put a plaque saying "Terra. A Teen Titan. A True Friend." They all vow to bring her back... someday.
- Written by:
- Directed by:
- Also featuring:
The title refers to the aftermath of "Terra", "Titan Rising", "Betrayal", and "Aftershock - Part 1)" and later, the events of the entire episode (Terra's "death"). An aftershock is a smaller earthquake that occurs after a previous large earthquake, in the same area of the main shock. This relates to Terra's powers to control and move the earth.
- Though it is never confirmed, Terra may have been freed from her stone form following the events of "The End - Part 3", as Beast Boy finds a girl who looks, behaves, and sounds like her, and discovers her stone tomb empty in "Things Change".
- The tragic events of this episode are referenced many times through the series, as seen in: "Birthmark", "The End - Part 2", "Things Change", in the comic "Metamorphosis", and in the movie "Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans".
- Raven quoting “We’re gonna need a bigger jail.” is a reference to the 1975 film Jaws.
- Throughout the episode, Terra's Slade insignia changes from black on orange to orange on black.
- In the scene where Terra is surrounded by the Titans who are shrouded in fog, Beast Boy's wolf form growls, even though his silhouette is changed back to his human form.
- Before the Titans leave the chamber so Terra can stop the volcanic action, Raven shields herself from a magma burst with an energy construct. When she does this, the aura is a rippling white, similar to when she uses her healing powers.
- Terra's suit is completely attached to her skin, and she is unsuccessful at trying to remove it when trying to pull her "shirt" off near her neck. However, when Terra and Slade start fighting, he grabs her underneath this "shirt", with his fist all the way underneath it and his fingers appearing over the part at her neck that she couldn't pull off. This is likely due to Slade's brute strength being far superior over Terra's.
- In a far-away slightly angled view of the Titans walking to Terra's statue with her in the scene, it appears that there is already a rectangular stone board at the top part of the rock she is on before Beast Boy puts the board there.
- Towards the beginning of the episode, when Raven takes Terra in her soul-self's claw, the bird-like soul-self's eyes are red instead of white or black. This likely symbolizes Raven's anger and hate at Terra's betrayal.
- Robin's left sleeve is red instead of green.
- In the scene where it shows all the Titans falling at once, Raven falls before Cyborg. But in the scene where they are all falling separately, Cyborg falls before Raven.
Click here to view the gallery.
Click here to view the episode transcript.