Aftershock - Part 1 is the season finale of Season 2 and the 25th episode of Teen Titans series. It is followed by Aftershock - Part 2.
The episode opens with Slade instructing his deadly new apprentice, Terra. She confirms that she will serve him forever, that she has no doubts about her allegiance, and that she will destroy the Teen Titans.
That day, the Titans are enjoying a drive through the city in the T-Car. Raven is busy ignoring Beast Boy, mainly in an attempt to get Raven to laugh, but she only turns the jokes back at him. Out of nowhere, something (which turns out to be a boulder) hits them full on from the side and the car is sent spinning down the street. They exit the car and see Terra standing before them wearing a metallic suit with Slade's insignia on the front. Terra starts her attack by unleashing a lightning-fast pummel of rocks. They dive out of the way as more rocks hit the T-Car, utterly totalling it.
The Titans return to the attack, albeit hesitantly. Terra thoroughly demonstrates her new powers with her close-combat skills and is an even match for all of the Titans. She even demonstrates the ability to produce monsters from the streets. When she is surprised at this, Slade informs her that her new suit serves as a neural link between them. Slade can now project his own movements and attacks through his new apprentice, making her all the more dangerous. At several points during the battle the Titans show reluctance to deal any damaging blows to their attacker. There is one instance in particular where Starfire hits Terra hard with her eye beams and immediately goes to her side ruefully. Terra just smiles and says that Starfire was always easy to fool before hitting her with a plume of brick. Ultimately, Robin calls for a retreat and the Titans leave the battle. Beast Boy stares sadly at Terra before following.
Back at Titans Tower as they recover from the skirmish, they are quite frustrated by their inability to fight effectively and treat Terra like they would any other criminal. Beast Boy says Terra is not just another criminal. She was a Teen Titan and their friend. Cyborg and Raven say that Terra was never truly their friend and has always been pure evil. Beast Boy says that he knew her better than anyone and she may have some issues, but she isn't evil and they can't give up on her. Robin reminds him that Terra is working for Slade. Beast Boy replies, "When you were working for Slade, did we give up on you?" Robin decides that Terra gets one more chance. At that moment the alarm sounds.
Terra has gone to the maximum security prison and freed Cinderblock, Plasmus, and Overload. She places control devices on all three so they are now under Slade's command. The Titans split up with Robin and Starfire going after Cinderblock, Beast Boy and Cyborg going after Plasmus and Raven taking Overload on her own. Raven quickly defeats Overload by blasting him with the water pipes, but just then Terra appears. She slowly gains the upper hand and taunts Raven to the point that she loses control of her anger and attacks her in the raging form not seen since Nevermore. However, she is still no match for Terra and is seemingly drowned in a pool of mud.
Robin and Starfire subsequently defeat Cinderblock, but no sooner have they done this than Terra ambushes them, sending Starfire plummeting off a cliff into the ocean, and leaving Terra to escape with Cinderblock in tow. Beast Boy and Cyborg are in the midst of fighting Plasmus when a big fault opens beneath them. Beast Boy holds onto the edge but Cyborg falls into the darkness. Terra evilly sneers at Beast Boy and closes the fault on him as he screams out her name.
Later, Terra is searching for Robin when he surprises her. Robin has the advantage for most of the battle but he angers her when he tries to assuage her to his side again. Terra proclaims that she is not a sad helpless little girl and that she wanted to fight with Slade and annihilate him and his "pathetic friends". As she brings a rock down on top of him, the scene cuts directly to her presenting Slade with Robin's badge. Slade congratulates her and they prepare to conquer Jump City.
Meanwhile, the Titans have survived somehow and reunited somewhere underground. They decide once and for all that Terra gets no more chances, no more trust, and no more mercy. She's just another criminal and they have to stop her...no matter what it takes.
- Written by:
- David Slack
- Directed by:
- Michael Chang
- Also featuring:
The title refers to the aftermath of what happened in "Betrayal". An aftershock is a smaller earthquake that occurs after a previous large earthquake, in the same area of the main shock. This relates to Terra's powers to control and move the earth.
- Slade: You have had doubts in the past, made mistakes, but all that is behind you… Isn’t it?
Slade: You belong to me now, don’t you?
Terra: I do.
Slade: From this day forward, will you serve me and me only?
Terra: I will.
Slade: Will you obey my every command?
Terra: I will.
Slade: Will you fight at my side… forever?
(Hands her his insignia, Terra attaches it to her chest plate)
Terra: I will.
Slade: And will you destroy the Teen Titans?
Terra: I thought you'd never ask.
- Terra: Hey guys. Miss me?
- Cyborg: (while removing tiny stone from his robotic arm) Urgh..... I should have blasted her when I had the chance. Raven: I should have hit her with everything I've got. Starfire: Why did I permit her to fool me again? Robin: Why couldn't we take her down just like every other criminal? Beast Boy: Because she's not just another criminal. She's Terra. She was a Titan. She was.....our friend. Raven: Terra was never our friend. She was a liar and a spy. Trained by Slade and sent to destroy us. She's evil. Always has been. Always will be. Beast Boy: You don't know what you're talking about, ok Raven! She's made some serious mistakes, but she's not.... Cyborg: Hey, man, the girl wrecked my car. Seems pretty evil to me. Beast Boy: (throws the table in anger) This isn't a joke! I knew her better than anyone! I know all the terrible things she's done and I know exactly how messed up she is. But she's not evil! We can't just give up on her! Robin: Beast Boy, she's working for Slade! Beast Boy: When you were working for Slade, did we give up on you? Robin: She gets one last chance! One! We have to break Slade's grip on her! We have to try to get Terra back! (alarm goes off) Starfire: Trouble!
- Beast Boy: Why'd the aardvark cross the road? Raven: To beat up the idiot telling jokes about him?
- Raven: Terra. Terra: Raven. Raven: Traitor. Terra: Witch.
- Terra: You know Raven, I never liked you. Raven: I never even wanted to know you. You may have fooled the others, but I always knew you were a liar. Terra: Oh really? Is that why you let me live in your house and steal all your secrets and..... Raven: SHUT UP!!!
- Terra: You're not getting mad, are you, Rae? Oh, better be careful. Beast Boy told me all about your temper tantrums. Raven: Anger is pointless. My emotions are under control.Terra: (mockingly) Myah, myah, myah. Anger is pointless. And you're calling me a liar? Terra: Come on, Raven. What stinks the most? That I tricked you? That I nearly wiped out your team? That everyone liked me better than you? Raven: Stop it! (doesn't look up) Terra: Or is it that deep down inside you really believed I was your friend? Rage Raven: ARRRRRGH!!!! I TRUSTED YOU!!! WE TRUSTED YOU!!! WE GAVE YOU EVERYTHING AND YOU TREATED US LIKE DIRT!!!
- Starfire: (after she and Robin defeated Cinderblock) Victory at last! Robin: Now we can concentrate on saving Terra! (Starfire sees an incoming boulder hurdling towards them. She saves Robin by pushing him out of it's path and takes the hit. She then falls into the water below) STARFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- (Beast Boy holds onto the abyss for dear life, looks up to see Terra standing above him) Terra: (smirking) Hope you're not expecting a goodbye kiss. Beast Boy: (His eyes pleading) Terra... you can't...Terra: Watch me. Beast Boy: Terra! (Closes the abyss mercilessly, trapping Beast Boy and Cyborg inside)
- Slade: (seeing videos of the Titans supposed demise) Excellent work, Terra. I couldn't have done it without you. But, our conquest is not yet complete. Terra: I know. Four titans down, one to.... (Robin appears on his motorcycle)
- Robin: (holding Terra down) DO NOT MOVE! Terra: What's the matter, Robin? Feeling lonely since I have exterminated all your friends? Robin: They were your friends too! Terra: I don't need any friends! Robin: What did we ever do to make you hate us so much? Terra: You were born! (blasts Robin off) Robin: I promised Beast Boy I'd give you one last chance and this is it! (begins his fight with Terra)
- Robin: (pins her on the steel fence) Look at yourself, Terra! (Terra sees her reflection in the mirror) Is this really what you want to be?! Terra: (turns around and pins Robin on the steel fence) I'm just never gonna be good enough for you, am I?! (Robin and Terra continues fighting) Robin: You don't belong with Slade. Terra: You don't know anything about me! (continues fighting)
- Robin: It doesn't have to be this way, Terra. I was Slade's apprentice once. I got out, so can you. Terra: I don't need you to save me. Robin: You can only save yourself. Terra: I DON'T NEED SAVING!!! (pushes Robin off) I'm not some sad little girl who's waiting to be rescued! I wanted to be this way! I wanted to go with Slade! I wanted to annihilate you and your pathetic friends! (hurls rocks and boulders on to Robin) And now I never want to see your face again! (hurls a huge rock on Robin, supposedly killing him)
- Slade: You see, my dear apprentice, now that you belong to me, the city belongs to us.
- Cyborg: No more chances. Starfire: No more trust. Raven: And no more mercy. Beast Boy: She's just another criminal. Robin: And we are going to stop her, no matter what it takes.